Excited... like a kid going to Disney World...

I can't sleep. It's 2:30 AM & my mind is spinning with excitement & possibility. Yesterday was a day of laundry, cleaning, walking around historic Yorktown with the hubby + little man & house hunting. We viewed a house that my hubby & I strongly feel could be "the one". A cute brick rancher in a quaint little neighborhood. It literally just went on the market about a week ago. After the slight disappointment in losing the first house we wanted to make an offer on & then discovering three other homes we liked being under contract/sold, I started to think home ownership was not in our cards. I thought we might be stuck renting this 3rd floor apartment forever. My back has been taking a beating from Noah's steady weight gain & the adventures of carrying him up & down 3 flights of stairs. At least my legs & butt have been getting a killer workout.

Any ways, the house is practically move-in ready. It has so much potential & just seems like a great fit for a wonderful starter home. The only downside that I really see is that it's only has 1.5 bath & the washer/dryer is in the garage. Neither aspects are a big deal. I love that fact that it's brick & has a huge fenced back yard. I can truly see us living there. I see Noah's nursery finally being complete & not having to share a space with our so-called office. I see us baby proofing the entire house & pushing Noah's stroller around the neighborhood in the evenings after dinner. I see Noah running around the backyard with a lovable black lab or beagle or english bulldog someday. I see us eventually knocking down the wall that divides the living room & kitchen... adding a sliding glass door to the formal dining room area and maybe a deck to the backyard, where we host BBQ dinner parties in the summer. I can see Lane doing yard work on the weekends & being all giddy about maintaining a green lawn.

So, the girl who once swore she would never live the typical suburban life, and also said she would never get married or have kids is now the girl getting excited buying her first home. It's funny how we change as we age. Five years ago, I was moving back home to save up & eventually move to the west coast. I had all these plans for finishing grad school or going to law school in California or Washington. I used to believe that the Hampton Roads area was like this evil black hole, sucking the life out my high school friends who never left or moved back after college. I proclaimed I would never let it happen to me. I guess fate or God had other plans. Yeah, I never imagined I would be married & a mom by the time I was 30 years old.

Any ways, on another note, the healthy eating took a slight downfall this weekend. While running errands on Saturday, we grabbed Wendy's for lunch. I caved & ordered the Spicy Chicken sandwich combo & scarfed it down with sheer guilt & pleasure. We also went to my parents' house & grilled out for dinner. It was like "Meat Fest 2013" over there... my mom had burgers, NY strip steaks, filet mignon, chicken breast & hot sausages. I guess it was like an Atkins diet dinner. I ate a 4 oz filet mignon, hamburger with only mustard & ketchup, small chicken breast & a hot sausage link. I also shared some neapolitan ice cream with hubby. My tummy was not happy & I did indeed feel somewhat guilty for splurging. At least I was able to get into some exercise yesterday. I think we walked for a little over an hour around Yorktown beach & the historic district. It was a bit windy & chilly, but we bundled Noah up & let him sport his new baby sunglasses for the whole 5 minutes he allowed them to stay on his face.

My BFF & her hubby joined a gym this weekend. After having back surgery, she has managed to lose 32lbs since January. She seems pretty determined to get her butt in gear. I will admit her sudden health initiative has helped motivate me a bit more. I'm a competitive person by nature, so quantifying health by weight loss & shedding pounds gets me uber pumped & motivated. My goals tend to be a bit unrealistic & extreme at times - I think it's the "dreamer" in me. I am trying to convince myself to start slowly. Originally, I wanted to lose 20lbs by June. This was before I realized that May was literally right around the corner. Soooo... my new goal is between 5-10lbs by June. I think it's feasible, as long as I stay on track & avoid weekend splurges.

Until next time... XoXo - HMBC

Comments