Lazy, hazy days of summer....
.... do not exist anymore. I'm ready for beach or pool time + yummy BBQ's + daiquiris + bonfires + surfers + concerts + roller coasters... I guess, I can probably have a slither of those pleasures this summer....?
Personally, with Noah in tow, life is a bit more exciting & surprisingly filled with spontaneity... a different kind of spontaneity. The other day, I told Lane that it seems like just yesterday we were scared newbies in this baby-raising business. I recall the anxiety of preparing to go anywhere with baby. Did we pack enough diapers? Wipes? Extra outfits? Socks? Extra burp cloths? Extra receiving blankets? Swaddle blankets? Antibacterial? Diaper changing pad? Breast milk? Formula for supplementing? Vitamin drops? Bibs? Ghost bear lovey? Eeyore lovey? Bottles? Nipples? Infant Tylenol? Pump? Bottles for storing breast milk? Cooler bag? Ice packs? I had this check list of items that I assumed were necessary. It was very much like that Luvs commercial with the new mom preparing for an outing & walks out with a zillion things & forgets the baby.
Nowadays, I grab the essentials, which I typically keep in a backpack (totally got rid of the designer purse/diaper bag), grab baby, keys & go. I keep the snap & go stroller attachment in the trunk of LuLu (VW Beetle). Lugging it up & down 3 flights of stairs with an infant carrier detached did not seem logical. Thank goodness Noah is still small enough for his infant carseat carrier. However, I fear those days are sadly coming to an end soon. We were able to snag a brand new Safety 1st convertible seat for $20 from one of Lane's co-workers. He had received it as a gift & already had a seat that he & his wife liked.
Saving money is the name of the game these days. My parents desperately tried to instill a thrifty, frugality within me. It worked to some extent. I never felt a desire to purchase designer bags, clothes, or items full price. Sure I have a handful of Coach, Dooney & Burke, etc....but these were gifts from relatives & to be completely honest, these bags typically sit in their protective cover bags in my closet. With Noah, I no longer find it necessary to carry a matching handbag. As I mentioned earlier, I now carry my old college backpack, transformed into a diaper bag. So, I simply toss my Hello Kitty wallet into this backpack, which houses diapers, wipes, bottles, formula, bottled H2O, onesies & toys. Life is simpler with a backpack.
When it comes to clothes (when I actually buy myself new threads), I've often find cool stuff in outlet malls, lesser known boutiques or other non-department stores. As an adolescent, I remember shopping the clearance rack with my mom & her sisters practically every Sunday. Growing up, it seemed like Sunday was the day of shopping verses a day or rest or a day of church. I went to church with my dad regularly when we lived in Alabama. My mother would attend service occasionally. When I was a bit older, my dad gave me the choice of sleeping in or going to church. Being a kid, I chose sleeping in. It seemed like a better option at the time.
When we moved to Virginia, things were chaotic for awhile. My parents had decided to purchase a house in a growing neighborhood. This meant they viewed a model home & chose the "custom" options they wanted, picked the lot within the neighborhood, and got everything financed. I vaguely remember, as a mere 5th grader, going with them to view the 2 or 3 model homes. I do remember that new house smell, thinking it was very much like that new car smell. I remember thinking how cool the neighborhood looked, with the YMCA located at the entrance. There appeared to be many kids my age & the sales people mentioned plans for 2 playgrounds in the near future. My parents chose the larger model, a 2-story with vinyl siding & brick adorning the car garage, with brick red shutters. I can still remember all the details of this house & sometimes drive by it just to reminence.
While this house was being built, we stayed at my aunt's (Emo) grey stone brick fortress of solitude. Her giant house sat at the end of the cul-du-sac in a somewhat uppity neighborhood. I used to say her house looked like a castle & ironically, it sat on a street named Castle Court. Her yard was rather large...large enough for my little cousin (Timmy) & I to ride go-carts for hours & shoot hoops & play catch & play badminton & go swimming & play with Yo-Yo, their adorable & hyper shih zsu. My cousin, Timmy, was like a little brother to me. He used to spend nearly every summer with us in Alabama. That kid had a bit of a rough upbringing, but he's probably stronger for it today.
Personally, with Noah in tow, life is a bit more exciting & surprisingly filled with spontaneity... a different kind of spontaneity. The other day, I told Lane that it seems like just yesterday we were scared newbies in this baby-raising business. I recall the anxiety of preparing to go anywhere with baby. Did we pack enough diapers? Wipes? Extra outfits? Socks? Extra burp cloths? Extra receiving blankets? Swaddle blankets? Antibacterial? Diaper changing pad? Breast milk? Formula for supplementing? Vitamin drops? Bibs? Ghost bear lovey? Eeyore lovey? Bottles? Nipples? Infant Tylenol? Pump? Bottles for storing breast milk? Cooler bag? Ice packs? I had this check list of items that I assumed were necessary. It was very much like that Luvs commercial with the new mom preparing for an outing & walks out with a zillion things & forgets the baby.
Nowadays, I grab the essentials, which I typically keep in a backpack (totally got rid of the designer purse/diaper bag), grab baby, keys & go. I keep the snap & go stroller attachment in the trunk of LuLu (VW Beetle). Lugging it up & down 3 flights of stairs with an infant carrier detached did not seem logical. Thank goodness Noah is still small enough for his infant carseat carrier. However, I fear those days are sadly coming to an end soon. We were able to snag a brand new Safety 1st convertible seat for $20 from one of Lane's co-workers. He had received it as a gift & already had a seat that he & his wife liked.
Saving money is the name of the game these days. My parents desperately tried to instill a thrifty, frugality within me. It worked to some extent. I never felt a desire to purchase designer bags, clothes, or items full price. Sure I have a handful of Coach, Dooney & Burke, etc....but these were gifts from relatives & to be completely honest, these bags typically sit in their protective cover bags in my closet. With Noah, I no longer find it necessary to carry a matching handbag. As I mentioned earlier, I now carry my old college backpack, transformed into a diaper bag. So, I simply toss my Hello Kitty wallet into this backpack, which houses diapers, wipes, bottles, formula, bottled H2O, onesies & toys. Life is simpler with a backpack.
When it comes to clothes (when I actually buy myself new threads), I've often find cool stuff in outlet malls, lesser known boutiques or other non-department stores. As an adolescent, I remember shopping the clearance rack with my mom & her sisters practically every Sunday. Growing up, it seemed like Sunday was the day of shopping verses a day or rest or a day of church. I went to church with my dad regularly when we lived in Alabama. My mother would attend service occasionally. When I was a bit older, my dad gave me the choice of sleeping in or going to church. Being a kid, I chose sleeping in. It seemed like a better option at the time.
When we moved to Virginia, things were chaotic for awhile. My parents had decided to purchase a house in a growing neighborhood. This meant they viewed a model home & chose the "custom" options they wanted, picked the lot within the neighborhood, and got everything financed. I vaguely remember, as a mere 5th grader, going with them to view the 2 or 3 model homes. I do remember that new house smell, thinking it was very much like that new car smell. I remember thinking how cool the neighborhood looked, with the YMCA located at the entrance. There appeared to be many kids my age & the sales people mentioned plans for 2 playgrounds in the near future. My parents chose the larger model, a 2-story with vinyl siding & brick adorning the car garage, with brick red shutters. I can still remember all the details of this house & sometimes drive by it just to reminence.
While this house was being built, we stayed at my aunt's (Emo) grey stone brick fortress of solitude. Her giant house sat at the end of the cul-du-sac in a somewhat uppity neighborhood. I used to say her house looked like a castle & ironically, it sat on a street named Castle Court. Her yard was rather large...large enough for my little cousin (Timmy) & I to ride go-carts for hours & shoot hoops & play catch & play badminton & go swimming & play with Yo-Yo, their adorable & hyper shih zsu. My cousin, Timmy, was like a little brother to me. He used to spend nearly every summer with us in Alabama. That kid had a bit of a rough upbringing, but he's probably stronger for it today.
Any ways, all this talk about houses & childhood memories reminds me that I am going through all the stress of closing on a house for the sake of giving my son the opportunity to have a better life. I want him to have the backyard for adventures with a pet puppy & memories of family BBQ's. I want a garden with fresh yummy fruits & veggies, so Noah can appreciate manual labors of love & understand that healthier food options are better for him. I want him to be able to ride a bike in the safety of a family oriented neighborhood. With the elementary school located literally at end of our street, I foresee plenty of neighborhood children for him to befriend. Also, he will be within walking distance from school during those early years & very close by on the days I am home.
So, I sit here with bags under my eyes & an achy head, from the lack of sleep due to worrying about closing, an insomniac baby, and a husband who snores like a monster. I wait patiently for news from our loan officer & underwriter & closing attorneys. I ponder whether or not we are still scheduled for the walk-thru this afternoon or if my realtor will call minutes beforehand for a reschedule. Can you tell that I am a pessimist 96.78% of the time?
So, I sit here with bags under my eyes & an achy head, from the lack of sleep due to worrying about closing, an insomniac baby, and a husband who snores like a monster. I wait patiently for news from our loan officer & underwriter & closing attorneys. I ponder whether or not we are still scheduled for the walk-thru this afternoon or if my realtor will call minutes beforehand for a reschedule. Can you tell that I am a pessimist 96.78% of the time?
To be honest, although the house would be a great place to raise Noah, I believe things do happen for a reason. If the house is not in our cards, I will be disappointed. However, we'll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off & try a new direction. As long as my sweet baby is healthy & happy, nothing else really matters. (:
Until next time.... XoXo - HMBC

Comments
Post a Comment