Those lazy, hazy days of summer...

Summer has arrived! 


We decided to get the Busch Gardens Williamsburg Fun Pass this year. Noah is loving it! The Sesame Street kids' area has a splash pad, handful of kiddie rides + character show. Our first trip was during Memorial Day weekend and the park was packed. We didn't get to do too much, but Noah still got a kick out of taking photos with Elmo and Big Bird + seeing the train and riding the Skyride. Our second visit was on a Sunday afternoon, and much less crowded. Noah absolutely loved the splash pads in the Dragon and Sesame Street areas. He didn't want to leave. We also caught part of the Sesame Street character show. It was amazing to see his face light up and hear his excited squeals over seeing all his favorite characters. I swear, watching him in his state of pure, innocent childhood bliss is the essence of my life's defined happiness. I am over the moon, in love with my sweet little boy. He is, and will always be, my entire world.













Memorial Day weekend had some pretty decent sales, so we decided to get one if those cheap classic round charcoal grills. Hubby thinks we should save up for a nicer propane grill later. However, I personally prefer the charcoal one. There's something about the taste and smell of charcoal that reminds me of my childhood in Alabama. It brings me back to barbecues with family and friends in our backyard. Playing catch with my little cousin and dad, while chicken leg quarters and hot dogs smothered in a honey BBQ sauce fill the air with a sweet, smokey yumminess. My mom's simple potato salad, kimbap, and an array of Korean kimchees sitting on that red and white checkered plastic table cloth, on our wooden picnic table, in our screened in back patio. Picking fresh strawberries, tomatoes, and banana peppers from our garden. Ah, memories. 😃

Summer is definitely my favorite season. Although, I may not be able to withstand the heat for long periods of time, I still adore the sunny weather and disposition from other fun-in-the-sun lovers. The smell of fresh cut grass, food grilling, chlorine from swimming pools, coconut and banana scented sunscreens and tanning oils, salty beach breezes, boardwalk fries with malt vinegar, and lemonade all remind me of a simpler time. Beach vacations and weekend trips were some of my favorites. My mom always complained about the wind and sun. She stayed under large hats and umbrellas the majority of the time. However, she would occasionally submerge her legs and arms in the salty ocean water and swear it was a cure for her unfortunate skin ailments, a pestering eczema rash. My favorite aunt would do cartwheels with me, while my nervous little cousin would hug the shoreline, searching for shells and toting a boogie board that he rarely used. My dad or uncle would sometimes grill hot dogs or hamburgers on those square charcoal park grills. Usually, the sound of loud Korean dramatic conversation and laughter filled the air from my mom and her sisters or my older cousins. The beaches of the gulf shore in Alabama and Florida, and the less crowded areas of Ft. Monroe in Virginia were our favorite family summer spots. 

I hope Noah's childhood is filled with amazing memories. Since he may not have siblings or other cousins to grow up with, I guess we will have to work harder to make friends in mommy groups. The ladies of the newest mommy group are über nice. We try to attend at least one event every week. Although, Noah's recent rebellion against his carseat makes it occasionally difficult to arrive on time. 

Life is good. Hubby is doing well at work and reaping the benefits of all his dedication and hard work. Our house projects are coming along slowly, but surely. We're thinking about eventually painting the sunroom. The previous owners painted it a bright, sunny orange. I think a cool, lucious green would be more fitting an blend better with the blue walls of our kitchen. Someday, we will look into expanding and renovating our tiny master bathroom and bedroom. We just discovered that the mirrors, in our guest bathroom, have hidden cabinet space. I adore our guest bathroom and love the unique blue glass sink that the previous owners chose. It reminds me of my favorite restaurant in Va Beach - Catch 31. 

In addition to small home projects, we have this on going list of furniture that we want to save up for. Since my pillow top mattress has been peed on, spit up on, and vomited on, I think it will be the first to be replaced. Ironically, I had a mattress protector, but stupidly decided to take it off because I thought it made the mattress feel too warm at night. Our couch is starting to fall apart, too. Value City furniture sucks. Cheaper prices obviously does not always equate to long last quality. I've had a coffee table's paint bubble up, a couch spring break, a dining table's leg break, handles from a buffet (that I use as a dresser) break off, and an oversized chair's arm become dented. Most of these pieces are only few years old. Furniture should last longer than a mere few years!








Any ways, until next time.... XoXo - HMBC



Comments