August Rush

Sweet film, but not the focus of my post.

Summer feels like it just began, yet I fear the end is near. August is one of those transitional months. Here, in VA, the weather can remain warm, balmy & summer-like the entire month or it can suddenly become cool, crisp, breezy, with that hint of autumn. I hate to admit it, but I actually enjoy this bittersweet part of summer. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore summer. However, the change of season is almost welcoming in a refreshing manner....at least until the bitter cold of winter arrives.

Noah is turning 2 years old this autumn. I am excited to plan a party filled with Despicable Me minions, family & friends. I'm sure we will keep it low key, especially since his birthday falls so close to the Turkey Day holiday. However, perhaps we may open up his celebration to a few mommies & toddlers in the mommy group.


I hosted my 1st official play date the other day. Apparently, I chose a day that most moms already have baby/toddler activities scheduled. Only 1 mom & toddler attended, but it was still fun for Noah. We've done a couple of additional play dates separate from the group & I have enjoyed the comraderie of a fellow mom. 






Hubby & I made yet another attempt for a "date night". Total fail. I am convinced that I should just stop buying tickets to concerts because the last two shows have been a complete waste. Our 1st date involved a concert, so the nostalgia of making our 1st baby-free date night a concert too was my attempt at a romantic notion. I'll spare you the lame details involved in our failed date night attempt and assume that most parents understand the hardships involved with scheduling, planning & coordinating with "baby sitters". I guess it was just not meant to be.

On another note, my slow & steady weight loss journey is going decently. I recently got a clean bill a health from the primary care physician. Blood pressure is controlled, weight loss is acceptable (yet, she stressed the importance of including light weight training into my exercises) & the lump on my side boob/armpit is benign. Thank God! That was a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.
The fear & worry related to the the unknown can be nearly debilitating. 

Life is fragile and way too short. I recently read an obituary for a Suffolk native, barely 2 years older than me. Her maiden name sounded familiar, but I did not know her personally. She did work with someone that I went to middle/high school with though. I have no idea how she passed, but she leaves behind a husband, 2 sons, and plenty of friends & family. I often joke about feeling so old, but in realty 31 is still so young. This woman died at 33 years old and the injustice of a young mother passing away breaks my heart. I hope and pray that her children have many warm and happy memories to comfort them during such a difficult time.

My not-so-little cousin is 97% sure that he will be relocating to the west coast. His most recent contract ended and the renewal did not quite work out the way he expected. He accepted an offer with a firm based out of DC, with a position in San Diego. However, the offer is currently  contingent on approval, so there is not a complete guarantee or actual contract on the table yet. He's filled with anxiety, since he recently purchased a condo in NoVa & has been living out of boxes, while waiting to see if he should bother unpacking. I think a move to the west coast would be rather refreshing for him. He's lived in VA his whole life and could probably use a change of scene.


Another cousin is traveling to Canada very soon. She's leaving her toddler with her parents, for nearly a month, to vacation with her current man friend. I can't imagine being away from Noah that long. Even though I may not agree with her past life choices (e.g., not finishing high school, getting married & divorced very young, etc), I truly hope she figures herself out & provides her little one with a wonderful life. It's amazing to see how we have all grown up and started families of our own. Although Noah may or may not have siblings or 1st cousins to grow up with, hopefully he will have an opportunity to get to know some of my cousins' kids. I don't think my family has ever done a family reunion, bu maybe I can try to plan or orchestrate one for my dad's side....someday. 😊

Until next time... XoXo - HMBC








Comments