It's too early for a clever title...

I recently came across a blog, created by the mother of a girl that I knew, back during my music days. This particular girl is now a rather successful Christian recording artist, with an adorable family. Her mother's website focuses on yummy recipes and inspirational pieces. However, this one particular post, about motherhood, had me sobbing and grinning. She tapped into the reality of emotions every mother has felt, in such a real, everyday life kind of situation. It was like a written hug, filled with genuine compassion and reassurance. 💕

For anyone interested in reading her post, it can be found here: 

 http://katebattistelli.com/

The title is "10 Truths About Motherhood I Learned At The Grocery Store". 

On another note, cheers to the success of musicians, artists, singers/songwriters, and dreamers, who are able to pursue their creative dreams + balance a family/work life. Someone pointed me to the singer of Eisley's IG page (Sherri DuPree-Bemis). Her adorable little girl is fairly close to Noah's age. From her page, I noticed links to other musician parents and was in total awe. I think I may have to live vicariously through all of them. lol 😝 Seeing others able to balance the pursuits of creative passions, while enjoying parenthood and the family life, is rather inspiring. I guess Noah's Snoopy book is right..."you can be anything". It might not just be some statement we tell our kids, to promote a zest for becoming dreamers? 

This makes me think of that child (Kwasi) who was accepted into every Ivy League college. He is the son of African immigrants, who has never had any extra advantages in life. He has attended public schools and had a nearly perfect SAT score. I adore the fact that he is involved in a wide variety of activities, from student government to musical theatre. The CBS morning show mentioned that he wants to become a neuologist or surgeon. What an impressive young man! I hope he accomplishes everything he sets out to achieve.

I hope Noah has an excitement and thirst for learning. I hope he has high expectations for pursing challenging academic goals. Indeed, I would not mind if my child becomes a studious nerd. It would be awesome if he continues to appreciates reading and becomes a total book worm. However, I will also encourage him to pursue sports/athletics and the arts. I want him to be well-rounded and a bit of an explorer.

I now fully understand the dreams and aspirations that parents hold for their kids. I understand why my parents were so incredibly strict about my grades, practicing piano, reading books verse watching tv or going out to play with neighborhood kids. They wanted me to have a "better life" and more opportunities than they were given. Even though their dreams on me attending an Ivy League university or becoming a concert pianist did not come true, I think they instilled a sense of confidence, work ethic & expectation within me. Settling has never been an option. My father always said tenacity and persistence were important qualities. I always thought people eventually became annoyed with his continual insistence, and eventually caved. Watching him at my parents' store, I've noticed he actually does have a knack for sales. He can up sell or push a product to nearly any customer by simply customizing his spiel to the individual and pestering them enough. 

I often hear the cliched statement that kids do not come with instructional manuals. However, I can assure you that there are a plethora of literature out there with contradicting theories. Parents judge one another so harshly. I hate how some moms make such judgmental and opinionated statements, making others feel inferior, when in reality we should be more supportive of one another. Parenthood is hard. I was late to a mommy group play date at the park yesterday. The few that showed, left just as I arrived. No big deal, especially since we were over an hour late. It was our first time at this particular park and I knew Noah would enjoy it regardless. The baby swings were full, so walked around and waited for one to free up. When it was finally Noah's turn, I proceeded to put him in and make goofy sounds to promote a giggle, and to help him feel confident in the swing. Two young preppy moms beside us abruptly decided it was time to stop swinging and commented on how it was infuriating and insulting to talk in baby talk to children. I could not help but laugh at their haughty attitudes. Sure, speaking to your baby/toddler in adult language is probably beneficial, according to some parenting or psychological article written by some renown PhD or smug researcher. Personally, I think people need to just loosen up! Noah looked sad when the other kids were yanked out of the swings and he was the only baby swinging. I, obnoxiously, said aloud, "It's okay Noah. You'll just be the coolest kid on the swings." Shortly after, a much friendlier mom and little girl joined us on the swings. The kids babbled in sweet, adorable baby talk. Overall, it was a fun day.

So, 2 weeks of limiting my daily caloric intake to 1300-1400, and I have lost the measly 5lbs that I packed on between previously doctor appointments. Yay. It has been incredibly difficult to cut my calorie intake. To be completely honest, I usually end up going over by 100 calories 3-4 days a week. The calories add up so fast! With the warmer weather, I haven't been on my elliptical as much. Boo? I have been outdoors walking and chasing Noah, so it's not like I am not getting exercise. Occasionally, getting home around 8pm leaves one (or two - hubby and I) scrambling to eat, get bathed, and crawl into bed. I figured the occasional 30 minutes spent pushing Noah around Kohl's or the grocery store can count as "walking while pushing a stroller" on my Lose It! app. I would prefer to workout in the AM. I usually have more energy and gusto to jump on the elliptical, but Sesame Street only keeps Noah's attention for about 10-15 minutes max. There have been quite a few days that I end up doing 5 minute intervals on that machine, totaling up to 30-45 mins. I'm starting to believe that stroller walks are a more effective cardio workout, since we usually can walk at least 45 minutes non-stop. 

Any way, until next time.... XoXo - HMBC

Mischievously adorable

Spring flowers 

My little explorer



Tornado Noah strikes again.

My little climber

He felt the need to hide his sippy cup & shoe in his cabinet.

Comments