Snow flurries + Dawson's Creek + flip flops

There was a chill in the air. I even saw some snow flurries the other day. However, this morning I woke up to rain showers and 70 degrees by 6AM. I used to love autumn. Although, when living in Florida, it was never a very dramatic weather change. I remember looking forward to coming home for the holidays and seeing the gorgeous fall leaves. My "free" time home from college/grad school would often be spent snuggled up on my parents' couch with warm pjs, a good book (or boring journal articles), and old TV shows on DVD playing in the background - Dawson's Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Gilmore Girls.

As a new mom, I have learned that Daylight Savings time is almost a cruel joke. The thrill of gaining an extra hour of sleep no longer exists. Instead, you have a baby who wants to wake up at 5AM instead of 6. Also, you have a baby who decides that 6:30 PM is the new time to be cranky and throw temper tantrums. Bath time always puts him in a great mood, followed by an hour of bouncy, happy, hyper baby. After twisting and turning like a tornado in our bed, he proceeds to fall fast asleep. Once he is truly asleep, we are able to transfer him into his own bed. Our sleep routine is a tedious process, but at least we've moved beyond the need for rocking and bouncing him to sleep. He still refuses to STTN and tends to demand at least 1 or 2 bottles throughout the night. I always find it rather interesting how others love to throw in the two cents on how to "make the baby sleep thru the night". My OB/GYN said her daughter did not STTN until well past her 1st birthday. Our pediatrician did not seem concerned about Noah wanting a bottle or two and waking. My new primary care physician nonchalantly insisted that I should him CIO. My older cousin insisted that I needed to put rice cereal in his bottle (a practice that most doctors are against now, due to choking hazards, etc) at 4 months. Personally, I'm pretty used to waking up every couple of hours. It's almost like you begin training for less sleep while pregnant - getting up to pee, food cravings, heartburn, trying to get comfortable with a beach ball belly. Sleep  is overrated. 

Christmas decorations at stores is a constant reminder that winter is right around the corner. I am not looking forward to the inevitable cold, grey skies and ominous clouds threatening blasts of icy snow. Sure, I may like my share of marshmallows and hot chocolate, but I do not care for snow. Although it may be beautiful to view, snow tends to brings chaos, car accidents, and mess. It also keeps me confined indoors, and cabin fever sucks. 

On another note, Noah's 1st birthday plans have changed again. In an effort to save money (costly furnace repair depleted a huge chunk of our savings), we have decided to throw a small party at our house vs dining at our favorite seafood restaurant in Williamsburg. It's not like Noah would be able to fully enjoy or appreciate all the yumminess of Captain George. Plus, cleaning up after a smash cake at home will be much easier in the comforts of our own house. This weekend we purchased decoration, wrapped gifts, and decided we would make cupcakes. Now we just need to decide if we are making or ordering food. Even though our house is still in disarray, with unpacked boxes hiding under desks and certain rooms looking like a storage locker, I am still excited about Noah's 1st birthday party.

Until next time - XoXo - HMBC








Comments